fbpx Electrical safety | BELD

Electrical safety

safety 1stInside the home

  • Put safety caps on all electrical outlets, especially in households with children. These inexpensive items are available at hardware stores.
  • When bathing your child, unplug nearby electrical appliances—electricity and water are a deadly combination.
  • Keep youngsters a safe distance from electric space heaters, and never leave small children unattended near electric appliances, lamps, fans or motors.
  • Before operating a new appliance, read and follow manufacturers instructions.
  • Don't overload an outlet with too many plugs. Wires can overheat and cause a fire. Similarly, never overload a circuit—large appliances should have separate circuits.
  • Replace worn wires or extension cords, and never run them under rugs or over heaters.
  • Always unplug appliances not being used—even if the switch says "off," the power could still be flowing.
  • If someone receives an electric shock:
    • Don't touch any person or thing that is still in contact with the electricity. Call 911 immediately.
    • Shut off the circuit breakers before you touch the person.
    • If necessary, use mouth-to-mouth resuscitation or CPR on the person. Cover them with a blanket and wait until help arrives


  • Keep ladders, antennas, kites, and people away from power lines.
  • Landscape with care. Call Dig Safe at 1.888.DIG.SAFE (344.7233) to have underground utilities marked before digging to prevent damage to  electric, telephone, or gas underground facilities. Notification is required at least 48 hours before you start digging operations. In an emergency, call Dig Safe immediately. For more information, visit Dig Safe at www.digsafe.com.
  • Don't plant large trees beneath overhead lines. If a tree has power lines running through it, call 781.348.BELD. Do not attempt to trim the tree yourself.
  • Never use power tools or other outdoor equipment while it's raining or if the ground is wet.
  • Don't hang signs on utility poles. Our lineworkers wear special rubber gloves to insulate them from electricity. Nails, staples and other fasteners can snag or puncture their gloves and endanger their lives.
  • Avoid substations and transformers. High-voltage equipment can be very dangerous. Teach your children to respect the "Danger" signs.
  • Consider all power lines energized and dangerous. Remember that metal and water can conduct electricity, so keep your distance and be careful what you touch. Even the ground around a downed wire can be electrically charged and deadly. If you see downed power lines call BELD to report them and let trained professionals take care of the situation.
  • If you happen to be in a car when power lines come down, stay there until help arrives. If the car is on fire and you need to get out, do not touch the ground and the car at the same time—the electrical current could pass through your body. Instead, jump as far from the vehicle as you can and then bunny hop or shuffle your feet until you are a safe distance from the car and wire. The key is to keep your feet as close together as possible.